Veterans of Foreign Wars
The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States is a nonprofit veterans service organization comprised of eligible veterans and military service members from the active, guard and reserve forces.
We trace our roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service. Many arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans’ pension for them, and they were left to care for themselves.
In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed organizations that would eventually band together and become known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. Today, membership stands at nearly 1.7 million members of the VFW and its Auxiliary.
Our voice was instrumental in establishing the Veterans Administration, development of the national cemetery system, in the fight for compensation for Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange and for veterans diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome. In 2008, we won a long-fought victory with the passing of a GI Bill for the 21st Century, giving expanded educational benefits to America’s active duty service members, and members of the guard and reserves, fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. We were the driving force behind the Veterans Access and Accountability Act of 2014, and continually fight for improved VA medical centers services for women veterans.
Besides helping fund the creation of the Vietnam, Korean War, World War II and Women in Military Service memorials, in 2005 the VFW became the first veterans’ organization to contribute to building the new Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial, which opened in November 2010. And in 2015, we became the first supporter of the National Desert Storm War Memorial which is planned for construction at our nation’s capital.
We have many programs and services that work to support veterans, service members and their families, as well as communities worldwide. Please check out our latest fact sheet or spend some time browsing our site to learn why No One Does More For Veterans.
VFW Jayne-Lattin Post 2913
It all began with 120 members on October 13th 1945 at the Patchogue Hotel the name of the post was derived from the first fallen from Patchogue, Long Island, New York. Kenneth Jayne and Bleecker Lattin who were killed in action at Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 on board the U.S. ships Arizona and Oklahoma.
On January 13, 1946, the Charter Membership was closed with breaking membership of 375, Membership broke the 400 mark on February 3, 1946 thus becoming one of the largest VFW posts in the United States. On March 9, 1946 the Auxiliary was instituted at Patchogue Hotel with 40 Charter Members.
Between 1945 and 1949, VFW 2913 post meetings were held at various locations in the Village of Patchogue, NY. It was in March 1949 that ground was broken for the new building on Edwards Street in the Village of Patchogue.In November 1949 the new Post was completed and the members officially moved in.
Since the post was formed its post members and the Auxiliary have been involved in the community, with various programs in the local schools, Air Force ROTC awards, Local members of Fire Department, EMT Department and County Police Department member of the year awards, Attend annual parades, and support our Military service men and women on active duty with care boxes while deployed.
Over the last couple of years the post has continued its support to veterans and the local community with art programs, giving support to food pantries, building relationships with Student Veterans of America, Eagle Scout Awards, housing Harmony Cafe and a start up church. The post also takes part in several community events like Alive After Five, the Suffolk County Marathon and Freedom Fest.