It all began with 120 members on October 13th 1945 at the Patchogue Hotel the name of the post was derived from the first fallen from Patchogue, Long Island, New York. Kenneth Jayne and Bleecker Lattin who were killed in action at Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 on board the U.S. ships Arizona and Oklahoma.
On January 13, 1946, the Charter Membership was closed with breaking membership of 375, Membership broke the 400 mark on February 3, 1946 thus becoming one of the largest VFW posts in the United States. On March 9, 1946 the Auxiliary was instituted at Patchogue Hotel with 40 Charter Members.
Building a Post
Between 1945 and 1949, VFW 2913 post meetings were held at various locations in the Village of Patchogue, NY. It was in March 1949 that ground was broken for the new building on Edwards Street in the Village of Patchogue.In November 1949 the new Post was completed and the members officially moved in.
Since the post was formed its post members and the Auxiliary have been involved in the community, with various programs in the local schools, Air Force ROTC awards, Local members of Fire Department, EMT Department and County Police Department member of the year awards, Attend annual parades, and support our Military service men and women on active duty with care boxes while deployed.
Continuing the Legacy…
Over the last couple of years the post has continued its support to veterans and the local community with art programs, giving support to food pantries, building relationships with Student Veterans of America, Eagle Scout Awards, housing Harmony Cafe and a start up church. The post also takes part in several community events like Alive After Five, the Suffolk County Marathon and Freedom Fest.
Todays Jayne-Lattin Post 2913
The members of Jayne-Lattin Post 2913 continue to be proud veterans taking care of other veterans, their families and the community.